Saturday, November 28, 2009

The Tavern

The call of the Tavern left me long back, in shame
It had lit in me love, a flame,
And then each day,
It played a trick, it called my name
It lingered, it claimed the Muse, my soul and all, my say
What I could I did, the dried quill resigned
The inkpot left bare long behind
In shadows behind the curtains, blind





The call of the Tavern, where the wine
Poured down parched throats unimpeded left
Verse choked, slurred voices lost in theft
Deep inside, raked by pain as I lay in the cold outside,
The laughter wore a muffled croak
The heart dead, the tears dried,
For the Muse, she hid somewhere, the alcohol
Was saddled deep inside,
And the tavern just an alter, a shrine
To a million words, to the poems left behind…

There are odes I hear to the tavern they call life
It pleads, it gives a joy ride and yet, strife
There is wine- there is sunshine,
An incense permeates the flow of Time
As the Tavern changes its shape and shade
The Woman of Words just stays aloof, I fade


As the sounds of clinking glass
Gurgling flows of mellowing croons
Sung in the moods of indigo blues
Divided in ambivalence, the Muse
Watches perhaps from far away,
As twinkles in starlight astray
The poems mutilated, mindless
I witness the bouquet the Muse had shed
The Tavern still has poets, racing words
Laughter, mistresses and admirers
Critics and critiques, words of fire
And yes, the Muse lurks in hot desire
The old poet banished, famished,
His wine, sobriquets, epithets
Brickbats alike in exile, vanquished,
The Muse looks on heartless
The wine flows yet, hours in the darkness
Cries the poet, poems now a mattress of tears
In a sky, stellar, cosmic, immortal yet unread!


In the Tavern of Eternity, forever a shop
Of dreams, an ethereal bartender of words
Weaves secret tapestries, pours the wine of romance
Who cares? For poets drunken with the golden rye
Fizzes and cocktails of rhyme,
Time stands still, only favors die!


27 Nov 2009

1 comment:

Pushpa said...

the muse is definitely not heartless with this poet. the words flow from your goblet and i will visit your tavern any time!